Saturday, October 29, 2011

October fishing

Just got back from fishing on the Payette River.  Nice thing about where I live is that I can drive any direction and within a few minutes there is a place to fish.  Can even walk to a nice spot.  The Payette Lake is only about a half mile away, and the river is even closer.  A twenty minute drive and I am on the Little Payette Lake or can hit Goose Creek down towards New Meadows.  There are so many small creeks and lakes around here, that sometimes the biggest problem is where do I want to go.

Today was to run down and see if I could catch another nice rainbow.  Last week I caught a sweet 15 incher that was a lot of fun to land.  No big 'bows today.  Caught four in the eight to ten inch range.  Fun little things.  Then something that bent the rod.  It fought hard, and I started thinking, this is probably a whitefish.  Sure enough, that's what it was.  Nice little fight before I got it in the net.  The only thing I don't like about whitefish is that a lot of times they swallow the fly.  Nothing you can do but cut the tippet and let is go.

A lot of fishermen kill whitefish when they catch them.  This really pisses me off.  Why do that?  Just because they don't want them doesn't mean they can kill them.  It's also illegal.  I hope some of them get caught.  They are considered a game fish and I believe the fine for wasting is pretty steep.

There is more than fishing that gets me out.  What nature has to show off while you're out is always a treat.  Today, I jumped a Whitetail doe and her fawn.  Such graceful creatures.  There are always an eagle or two in the trees, and once in a while a Great Blue Heron may fly over.  Make all the concerns or worries just slide away.

Can't wait until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment