Monday, July 1, 2013

Fishing with Warren

A short post about yesterday's fishing.  One of my fishing buddies finally got all his honey-dos finished, so we had an opportunity to go fish.

After a late start (I was up 'til 3:00 with my grandson) we hit the road.  Now hitting the road around here is never a long trip.  Within fifteen minutes we were at a spot I wanted to try.

I have driven by this section of water dozens of times, but had always heard it was not good fishing, so had never stopped.  Then a couple days ago, another friend stopped me and said he landed a 29", 9# rainbow at this spot.

We stopped and got out to check the water, and damn!, big fish swimming around.  Figured we may as well give it a shot.

Got everything set up and got some line wet.  After a few minutes, I felt a tug, but didn't hook up.  A few more drifts, and BAM! A hit and had a fish on.  It fought like hell and was a lot of fun.  I was standing on a flat rock that eased into the water, so I beached it on the rock..  Wow, a nice 16" 'bow.

After releasing it back into the water, looked up at Warren, and he was still tying a fly onto his line.  It seems like every time I looked up stream to him, he was tying another fly on.  He said he kept loosing flies.  Now Warren is a farmer, and did lose the tip of one finger to some machine, but past that, he insists on tying some fancy knot for his flies.  Swears he has lost too many fish with the clinch knot, so is never going to use it again.

To me, he's got the wrong mindset.  He is missing fishing time screwing with his fancy knots.  Even if he did loose a fish now and again, he would at least be catching fish, not tying knots.

All and all, it was a fun day.  We didn't fish very long.  Both of us old farts were tired, so went back to town for a burger and a beer.

Can't wait for the next trip!


Happy Trails

Tom

><))))˙>



No comments:

Post a Comment